Shakshooka is a dish made of tomatoes and eggs. It is a great breakfast dish since it has protein and vegetables. Use any tasty bread to dip into it.
Shakshooka in Hebrew comes from the verb "leshakshek" which means "to shake". The dish is basically eggs that have been shaken.
Recipe for 2:
2 tablespoons of oil
3 garlic cloves
Half an onion or 1 full onion diced
3 large tomatoes or 5-6 smaller ones cut into cubes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of chili pepper or anything else that is spicy
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil and saute the onion with the garlic.
2. Add the tomatoes and cook on low heat, partially covered for 15 minutes.
3. Season with chili pepper, salt and pepper.
4. Add tomato paste and taste the seasoning (it should be spicy).
5. The egg part is very important. You have to make room for the eggs. Make holes
in the sauce and break the eggs inside each hole one at a time (You can break the eggs into another bowl first and then transfer them but make sure to do one at a time.)
6. Cook on low heat until eggs are stabilized. They should look like sunny side up eggs in tomato sauce.
7. Use your favorite bread to soak up egg mixture.
Note: You can also add a little cooked sausage or chorizo for extra flavor.