2 c flour, unbleached
1/4 c sugar
1 c butter, no margarine, unsalted
2 egg yolks
4 c fruit, fresh, canned, frozen
1/2 c sugar, if fresh fruit is used
1/4 c water, if needed
2 T cornstarch
1 egg white
1 T sugar
1/2 c almonds, toasted, sliced
2 T sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1 c heavy cream, whipped
1. Mix flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolks; mix to form dough. Press dough into bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring form pan. Dough should come 1 1/2 inches up the sides.
2. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until pastry is firm and light brown.
3. Drain canned or frozen fruit, reserving juice. Crush 1 cup of fresh fruit to make juice. Add sugar to fresh fruit and let stand 1/2 hour. Drain juice and add water to make 1 cup.
4. Mix cornstarch and fruit juice. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Place whole fruit in baked pastry shell. Pour thickened fruit juice over top. Chill thoroughly. Carefully remove torte from spring form pan.
5. Beat egg white until foamy. Gradually beat in the sugar. beat until stiff peaks are formed. Spread the meringue around the outside of the pastry shell. Press in the almonds so that they completely cover the sides.
6. Gently fold sugar and vanilla into whipped cream. Spread over the fruit. Garnish with sliced toasted almonds, if desired.