2 lb mussels
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 slices stale white bread, crust removed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T white wine vinegar
2 oz walnuts, finely ground
6 T olive oil
1. Make sauce. Soak the bread in water for 10 minutes. Drain and gently squeeze out the water.
In a liquidizer, whiz the bread with the garlic, vinegar, nuts and salt until smooth. Gradually drizzle in the olive oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
2. Clean the mussels well and rinse thoroughly. Heat 1/2 " water in a large wide pan until boiling. Add the mussels, cover tightly and shake over a high heat for a few minutes until they have opened. Remove mussels from shell and reserve.
3. Carefully thread the mussels onto wooden skewers that have been presoaked in water for 30 minutes. Put on about 6 mussels per skewer and don't pack too tightly.
4. Coat each skewer first in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg and finally in flour again. Make sure that it is coated thoroughly each time.
5. Fry in hot oil, turning occasionally with tongs, until golden brown. Drain briefly on kitchen paper and serve immediately with the sauce.