2 T pine nuts, almonds or, slivered cashews
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 T canola or sunflower oil
2 lb lean beef, ground
1 t salt
20 grinds black pepper
1 T Indian curry paste, or 2 t curry powder
3 T apricot preserves, or mango chutney
2 T fresh lemon juice
3 large eggs
1 1/3 c coconut milk, canned
1 t salt
2 t soy sauce
1/2 t paprika
1 pinch chili powder
10 grinds black pepper
2 bay leaves
Preheat oven to 350F.
1. In heavy-based skillet, toast nuts over moderate heat, tossing frequently, until they smell toasty, about 3 minutes.
2. In large skillet over moderate heat, heat oil and cook onion, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and fry, stirring once or twice, until well-browned, about 3 minutes.
3. Add salt, pepper, curry, preserves and lemon juice. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then stir in the toasted nuts. Transfer to casserole or small gratin dish, and keep warm while you make the topping.
4. In bowl, whisk eggs with coconut milk. Add salt, soy sauce, paprika, chili powder and black pepper. Mix well, then pour custard (it will be thin) evenly over meat mixture. Arrange bay leaves on top.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, until top has set and is golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving with rice and a green vegetable.