Combine the classic slider appetizer, with the gross-out opportunity of a Halloween party and you get this clever spin on the miniature hamburger. Grass-fed beef, white cheddar, and a homemade ketchup seem innocent enough until you garnish with your favorite scare tactics.
Maggot Slider Ingredients
Ground chuck (80% lean max), 2 pounds
6oz white cheddar
1/2 cup cooked white rice (aka "maggots")
12 leaves fresh basil
6 brioche or potato rolls
1 cup ketchup
salt & pepper
12 wooden skewers
1) Slice cheese into 12 equal pieces. Form small patties around each piece of cheese with the ground beef.
2) Roll edge of sliders in rice then press with fingers to adhere.
3) Heat olive oil in saute pan on medium high. Cook burgers until browned on each side, being careful not to overcook. Should take about 5 minutes per side max.
4) Cut brioche rolls in half and trim into squares. Toast bread, then dab with Dijon mustard.
5) Add one basil leaf to each piece of toasted bread. Top with a burger and skewer.
6) Place burgers on platter and drizzle with ketchup.
7) Decorate platter with plastic flies, bugs, and clumps of rice (aka "maggots").